Monday, May 3, 2010

May 2010

Just like you, I love to teach God's Word. What a thrill it is to communicate God's truth and see the lightbulbs going on above the heads of your learners! How gratifying it is to see eager students of the Bible seek to apply it to their lives.

Just like you, I'm always looking for new and innovative ways to improve my communication. I've found that one tool that keeps teaching fun (and fascinating) is the use of objects. Conventional teaching is auditory in nature, but communication that stimulates multiple senses can really make an impact. When was the last time you gave a lesson that not only involved hearing, but also sight, touch, smell, or taste? I promise you that you'll have greater class interest if you can bring more of the whole person into the learning process. You'll keep their attention and help long-term retention, as well.

Let me give you some examples. This past week, I led a Senior Adult Bible Study on the topic of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. As I thought and prayed about the Garden theme, I asked myself what kind of object lesson might make an impact. From my own gardening experience, I know that Miracle-Gro helps plants reach greater potential for health and growth. I began the study with an explanation of what Miracle-Gro does; I even read the benefits off of the box label! I compared it to a resource that Jesus often drew from in order to fulfill His mission: prayer. Prayer is like Miracle-Gro for Christians; it helps us to reach greater potential for spiritual health and growth. Having that simple tool in front of me arrested the attention of my learners.

In two weeks, I'll be starting the Letters to God series, in which I've petitioned our church members to submit questions for God. It has been an eye-opening experience to see what people are concerned about and what issues they struggle with. I have a stand-up mailbox that I'll be leaving on the stage during the series to capture the theme. It's corny and gimmicky, but it will work to establish our purpose for those weeks.

I've been told that the sermon series' that people most remember have been linked to multisensory object lessons: the Gilligan series on the Seven Deadly Sins, the Spiritual Treasure series that incorporated a weekly treasure hunt, and the Benaiah sermon in which I narrated his story with dramatic music playing in the background.

Object lessons are not just for children. Adults love them, too. Why don't you try incorporating a few and see how it goes? Here are three guidelines to help you as you branch out into more effective teaching:

1) Start simple. Don't begin with complicated elements. Use a simple prop like a tire iron, golf club, bottled water, salt shaker, magnet, trumpet, basketball, or piece of fruit to make a point. Once you've mastered the simple lesson, you can move on to more complicated elements.

2) Keep it manageable. Trying out a new teaching method can make you feel self-conscious. Make sure your object lesson complements (and does not distract from) your lesson. Your prop should create intellectual clarity, not confusion. Don't force it.

3) Make it biblical. If your sermon has biblical authority, there are all kinds of elements you can incorporate without compromising the message. Jesus and the prophets serve as excellent examples of how to use simple object lessons to drive home a point (for example, when Jesus used fishing equipment to illustrate His authority and mission).

Make plans to use an object lesson this month. Make it compelling. Make it understandable. Make it unforgettable!

No comments:

Post a Comment